Marchoi Valley Winter Trek
The Marchoi Valley trek traverses some of the hidden jewels in the Kashmiri mountainscape – the pristine alpine meadows along with pine and silver birch forests.
- Duration6 days
- Group Size8
Kashmir with its unparalleled beauty, postcard perfect scenes and almost European vistas frankly needs no introduction. If you are looking for green meadows filled with colourful wild flowers, pristine colour changing water, meandering streams and amazing Himalayan views from high up, then the Marchoi Valley trek is the most highly recommended trek. Starting from the popular hill station Naranag, the trail follows ancient routes taken by the gujjars, the nomadic shepherds of Kashmir. Every day on the trail, trekkers are treated to breathtaking views of rugged snowcapped mountains, colourful grasslands, and trout filled crystal clear streams. There are also stream to be crossed. It goes without saying that it is a physically easy and mentally challenging trek and would require the trekkers to be physically fit to traverse through snow in the winter month of December and to have a penchant for the Himalayan remoteness to enjoy this trek.
- Accommodation in dome tent (2/3 per tent).
- Meals mentioned in the itinerary on a fixed menu/ buffet basis.
- Naranag homestay on Day 1.
- Camping Equipment: Tents, Sleeping bags, mats.
- All charges for guides, cook, helpers, horses and permits.
- Air fares, airport taxes and anything not mentioned in the inclusions and itinerary.
- Transport cost from Airport to Naranag and from Naranag to Srinagar.
- Naranag homestay on day 5.
- Meals, tea, coffee, mineral water, tips, transfers not mentioned in the itinerary.
- Doctor, telephone, laundry and other personal expenses.
- Cost of personal emergency exit or expenses due to external factors such as climatic conditions.
- Travel insurance.
- Naranag homestay on Day 5 or Srinagar houseboat charges.
Day 1 – Drive from Srinagar to Naranag (2128m, 57kms).Click here to expand
- You are expected to assemble at the Naranag village by 6 pm. To reach Naranag, take a shared taxi from the Srinagar Tourist Reception Center at the latest by 2 pm.
- The Western Mountains can also arrange for taxis on request and trekker expense to pick you from the Srinagar TRC and drop you at Naranag. Please let us know during registration if you would like to opt for the pickup service.
- It is a scenic drive from Srinagar to Naranag and has a wonderful mix of grasslands, scattered forests and snow covered mountains.
- Overnight stay in homestay.
- Meals: (Tea& Snacks, Dinner).
Day 2 – Trek from Naranag village to Dumail (2 hr)Click here to expand
- Begin early morning and start towards the Dumail campsite on a Maple and Pine tree-lined route. Enjoy beautiful views of Naranag Valley and the forests en route the campsite.• You would cross Naranag Temple built by Lalitaditya Muktapida during Karkota Dynasty which is also a start point of the trek.
- Descend into the Dumail grazing ground through a Silver Birch & Pine forest, it is an easy trail and would take around 2 hours to reach the campsite.
- Overnight stay in tents.
- Meals - Breakfast, Lunch, Tea& Snacks, Dinner.
Day 3 – Trek from Dumail to Marchoi Valley via Shingdi (4 hrs)Click here to expand
- Today’s trek will comprise of a forest patch and few ascent to cross over to the Marchoi Valley.
- You would be crossing Shingdi which is a grazing ground for shepherds during the summer months of July, August, & September.
- It would take around 4 hours to reach Marchoi from Dumail, the trail has couple of stream crossings with wooden bridges.
- Overnight stay in tents.
- Meals - Breakfast, Lunch, Tea& Snacks, Dinner.
Day 4 – Rest dayClick here to expand
- Today you get to relax by the valley or go up to Shadmarg top based on the weather conditions and explore surrounding meadows, soak in the magnificent mountainscape, uncover a few local legends about the lakes, share travel stories, meditate, exercise your photography skills and do anything that soothes your soul (without disturbing others trekkers/nature)
- Overnight stay in tents.
- Meals – Breakfast, Lunch, Tea & Snacks, Dinner.
Day 5 – Trek from Marchoi to Naranag (5 hours)Click here to expand
- On the final day, we trek back on the same trail to Naranag past a tree line, some grassy lands and towards the pine forest cover. Follow the forest line for about 5 hours and descend into the Naranag village.
- For people opting homestay at Naranag at an additional cost, you will be provided lunch on arrival, Once you are refreshed you could explore the Naranag Temple built by Lalitaditya Muktapida during Karkota Dynasty till evening.
Day 6 – Check out after breakfast for people opting Naranag stay.Click here to expand
Naranag temple located at the serene meadows in Naranag Valley is one of the main attractions to tourists and it is an important archeological site, the temples form a cluster facing each other and with reference to history, it was dedicated to Lord Shiva built by Lalitaditya Muktapida during Karkota Dynasty. The 8th-century architecture is believed to be dedicated to Nagas by which the name Naranag was derived, the Nagas belonged to Hindu Kashmiri Kayasthas of Naga sect. The temple has an Aryan structure to it and the temple is now in ruins state. It is also one of the start point or the base to the popular Gangbal-Vishnusar trek which is popularized these days as Kashmir Great lakes trek taken from the Sonamarg side, it has a popular Harmukh peak in this route at Nandkol and Gangabal lakes. There is an annual Gangabal Yatra taken by the Kashmiri Pandits during late September where people hike till the lake and perform their religious duties on the banks of the lake.
Accommodation in dome tent (2/3 per tent).
- Cancellations prior to 30 days from the start of the event: Full refund as cash
- Cancellations between 30 days and 15 days to the start of the event: 50 % refund as cash.
- Cancellations less than 15 days to the start of the event: No refund.
- Cancellations will be accepted only by email.
Note: The Western Mountains reserves the right to cancel a programme before departure in the event of logistical problems arising due to natural calamities, strikes, wars or any other circumstances that make the event inadvisable. In this case, we will refund 50% of the event fees.
Great Escape Ladakh (10N-11D Srinagar-Leh-Manali-Delhi)from INR 21500
Travelling through high passes, serene lakes, ancient monasteries, listening to tranquil sound of chants, feeling the chill in the air and smile on...explore
Leh Ladakh Guided Bike Tour Starting from Leh to Leh for 6 Days / 5 Nightsfrom INR 25500
Leh-Ladakh, considered as heaven for bikers & riders, is known to have the highest motorable road (Khardung-La) in the world. Bike ride journey...explore
Kudremukh Trekfrom INR 3999
Located in Chikkamagaluru district, Karnataka, India, Kudremukh is a mountain range with lush green forests and overwhelming small streams. </...explore
Trek to Auden’s Colfrom INR 115000
This trek is a high mountain pass that connects Jogin I (6465m) and Gangotri III (6580m) peaks and is situated at a height of 5490m. This trek is n...explore
Gowdahalli Forest Homestay, Sakleshpurfrom INR 2300
Located in the middle of the scenic beauty of Coffee Estate in Sakleshpur. It's the perfect getaway near Bangalore/Mysore/Mangalore, for the gu...explore
The Coffee Retreat, Chikmagalurfrom INR 2550
The Western Ghats mountain ranges have numerous exotic places, which often turns out to be a surprise to the nature lovers. As the name suggests th...explore
Bombrukallu Homestay, Mudigerefrom INR 2250
Bombrukalluhomestay is situated in Sunkasale is a Village in Mudigere Taluk, Chikmagalur District, Karnataka State. Sunkasale is located 20.8 km di...explore
Gonakal Homestay - Chikmagalurfrom INR 4800
Experience hospitality at its best at Gonakal, a 360 years old heritage abode amidst the scenic beauty of Malnad's lush green forests, widespre...explore
Thangaali Homestay, Kalasafrom INR 2550
Thangaali Home Stay is a unique family gateway located in the midst of enchanting greens offering eco-friendly ambience that fits your budget. We b...explore
Girisiri Homestay - Kalasa, Chikmagalurfrom INR 2500
It is in the remote beauty tucked in the heavenly WesternGhats of Chikmagalur. Girisiri homestay is located next to majestic one rock mountain, wit...explore
Hampta Pass Trek (5 Days) Through Manalifrom INR 11500
Hampta pass (which is what this trek is all about), connects two magnificent and beautiful valleys: Lahaul and Kullu. While Lahaul valley is rocky...explore
Mount Deo Tibba summit Camp Expedition (13 Days) Through Manalifrom INR 60000
Mt. Deo Tibba (OR) Deo Tibba Peak is situated in the Pir Panjal range of mountains in the Kullu Valley / Manali region of Himachal Pradesh, India....explore
Mount Deo Tibba Base Camp Trek (6 Days) Through Manalifrom INR 12000
Trek to DeoTibba base camp is a pleasant 6 day trek with most picturesque landscapes ranging from alpine forest, undulating meadows of Gaddi marsha...explore
Friendship Peak / Mount Friendship Trekking through Manalifrom INR 35000
Friendship Peak is a majestic mountain, situated at Pir Panjal range, in Kullu District of Himachal Pradesh. This mountain, covered with snow, is p...explore
Chopta Chandrashila Trek
Along with beautiful valleys, Uttarakhand is full of many exciting trekking points, one of which is the Chopta Chandrashila Trek. The mythological significance of Chandrashila dates back to the RamRead
Kasol of Himachal Pradesh is famous all over the world for its amazingly beautiful plains and hills. Due to the immense beauty, tourists from all over the country and abroad keep coming here everyRead
If you are searching for an adventurous trekking spot then the Pangarchulla Peak trek is an ideal trek for you as it fulfils your needs. Pangarchulla is a 5-day trek that starts from Auli near JoshRead
Kheerganga trek is one of the most stunning treks in Himachal. The huge mountains, the hot water pool, and the beautiful natural atmosphere add to the beauty of this trek. Kheer Ganga is nestled atRead
Dzongri Trek - Goechala Trek
The Goechala trek is surrounded by magnificent mountains. There are 14 other major summits in addition to the Kanchenjunga. That's a major reason for any trekker to flock to this trek. Trekkers takRead
Gaumukh Tapovan Trek
Gaumukh Tapovan is without a doubt one of the most enjoyable treks you'll ever encounter. From here you'll enjoy small mountain views as well as big mountain views. From here you'll witness some ofRead
Trek Rajmachi Fort
Rajmachi Fort is a historical fort nestled in the lap of the magnificent hills of the Western Ghats. This fort, 95 km from Mumbai, is the favorite destination of trekkers. People from far away comeRead
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek
Kangchenjunga, popularly known as the world's third-highest peak, is situated at an altitude of 8586 meters above sea level in the Himalayas. Kangchenjunga is also known as the "Five Treasures of IRead
Kedar Kantha Trek
Considered to be one of the most beautiful and idyllic places of Uttarakhand, the Kedar trek is full of breathtaking views. While walking on the track, you will be able to get acquainted with the iRead
Trekking in Himachal
With the mighty Himalayas to the north and the Western Ghats to the south, India offers the best terrain for mountaineering activities. No woRead
The Brahmatal trek, dedicated to Lord Brahma, is another Himalayan jewel that has remained unspoiled by trekkers from all over the world. It is nestled in the Himalayas and is breathtakingly gorgeoRead
Beas Kund Trek
The Beas Kund is one of Himachal Pradesh's top tourist hotspots. The scenery from here is breathtaking. If you enjoy hiking and mountain climbing, this is a good bet for you. You can begin your treRead
Chadar Trek - Ladakh
Zanskar is an unforgiving mountainous terrain in Jammu and Kashmir's eastern section. The entire area is bordered by the Zanskar River's two branches. Thousands of people from all around the nationRead
The Great Tulip festivals in Turkey
The flowering of tulips, known for their beauty and elegance, heralds the arrival of spring every year. These flowers have a special place in the minds of the Turks and Kashmiris. While associatedRead