Walking Safari In Masai Mara - Kenya
Step foot on the savannah of the Masai Mara and experience this iconic wilderness on a series of walking safaris, camping out in the bush and truly getting in touch with the natural world.
- Duration6 days
- Group Size5 to 10
- Travel through the Masai Mara’s Naboisho Conservancy.
- Learn about the wildlife of the region from expert Maasai guides.
- Embark on the morning, afternoon and nighttime game drives.
- Spend three days mobile camping in the wilderness of Naboisho.
- Walk in the footprints of lions, cheetahs, leopards, elephants, giraffes, zebra, buffalo, and a host of other African wildlife.
Day 1: ARRIVE NABOISHO CONSERVANCYClick here to expandAs you arrive into the Masai Mara and disembark from Ol Seki Airstrip, your friendly and knowledgeable Maasai guide will be ready and waiting to take you on your first excursion: a game drive in a 4x4 Toyota Land Cruiser. This will give you an initial perspective of Naboisho Conservancy and the wildlife that you'll be able to encounter during your safari walks. Naboisho was formed to protect the pristine wildlife area here and also safeguard the Mara ecosystem, while providing a source of livelihood for the Maasai people who make their home in the region. During the drive, your guide will point out the predators and prey that roam across this vast savannah, including lions, buffalo, cheetahs, leopards and giraffes, among others. Lunch will be enjoyed at your intimate and secluded bush camp deep inside the Saddle Valley, an area with a high concentration of wildlife. After lunch you’ll have time to settle into the area and adjust to the pace of the safari before your next adventure. At 4pm you’ll meet your guide for an afternoon game drive and return to camp in time for dinner, followed by a relaxed evening in front of the campfire as you let the sounds of the savannah send you to sleep.
Day 2 - 4: NABOISHO CONSERVANCYClick here to expandOver the next three days you’ll rise early to enjoy a hearty breakfast before departing on an exciting walking safari, accompanied by your skilled Maasai guides. Settling in a different carefully selected campsite every day, you’ll be following in the footsteps of Maasai hunter-gatherers who have lived in this region for generations. As you walk through the wilderness your guides will teach you about Africa’s “Big Five” and “Small Five” as well as how to identify their skulls, dung and footprints. Naboisho has one of the highest densities of lion in all of Africa, which you may be able to spot hunting zebra, wildebeest or even giraffes. After a few hours of walking, each day you’ll stop under the shade of an acacia tree to enjoy a picnic lunch and a spot of relaxation prior to your afternoon walk. The mobile camp and a roaring fire will await you each evening, where you’ll have dinner and settle in for a night of storytelling and stargazing before retiring to your tent for a restful night.
Day 5: NABOISHO CONSERVANCYClick here to expandAfter three days of mobile camping, your final night in the Masai Mara will be spent in a hilltop tented camp that offers spectacular views of Naboisho’s wilderness. You’ll have time to relax in your luxury tent and take a hot shower – your first after camping out in the savannah - before heading out for an afternoon game drive with your guide. With luck, you may be able to catch a glimpse of the rare African wild dog. Sundowners will be served as night begins to fall, and during your drive back to camp your guide will equip the car with infrared lights, which will allow you to spot the nocturnal wildlife of the savannah.
Day 6: DEPART NABOISHO CONSERVANCYClick here to expandToday you’ll take a morning game drive and then return to camp for breakfast, cherishing the memories made during your time in the Masai Mara. Keep an eye out wildlife as you drive to the Ol Seki Airstrip, where you’ll catch a flight to Nairobi and connect with your international flight home.
- As per the itinerary.
- It is mandatory to carry the original government-issued any valid ID cards for Indian nationals and original passports for foreign nationals.
- Sunglasses, a hat, and sunscreen lotions.
- T-shirt, shirt or blouse - long sleeves and collars help to protect from the sun and mosquitoes (Neutral or Non-bright colored)
- Comfortable walking shoes (or boots) and socks.
- Preventative pharmaceuticals.
- Cancellations prior to 30 days from the start of the event: Full refund as cash.
- Cancellations between 30 days and 15 days to the start of the event: 50 % refund as cash.
- Cancellations less than 15 days to the start of the event: No refund.
- Cancellations will be accepted only by email.