The centre of Maldives' independent travel scene, the island of Maafushi has undergone seismic change since the first guesthouses opened here in 2010, and it now has over 50 hotels and guesthouses. It is easily Maldives' most cosmopolitan and progressive inhabited island, and there's a bikini beach and a very competitive diving and excursions market to boot. You can even leave the island to drink alcohol on floating bars just outside the harbour, or take a day trip to one of the many nearby resorts that welcome day guests in search of alcohol, pork and a more relaxed attitude to semi-clad sunbathers.
Maafushi may not be the most attractive island, with only a few good beaches that tend to get crowded, but it's well located for dozens of day trips and, quite frankly, the sheer amount of guest house competition keeps prices affordable. Welcome to Maldives for backpackers.
Things To Do On Maafushi Island
- Snorkeling: Witness The Marine Life - All guesthouses and 3 diving companies in Maafushi offer exciting trips to breathtaking reefs that are full of beautiful corals and are teeming with marine life. Be sure to carry a mask, fins, and snorkel, from home if you can, as the gear is quite overpriced at the island.
- Sandbank Tours: Explore Around - No trip to the Maldives is complete without a sandbank excursion. Sandbanks are made from snow-white sand that form in a shallow area of the sea. The colors emanating from a sandbank are truly mesmerizing, with different shades of greens and blues blending into each other creating a masterpiece like no other. When you sign up for a sandbank trip, you will be taken to a small sandbank for a whole day! You will get to dive into the lagoon, and also snorkel the outer reef if you wish to. These tours are semi-private tours, where you get to enjoy the beautiful ocean all by yourself!
- Night & Day Fishing: Catch Uniques Species Of Fishes - Most guest houses in Maafushi organize fishing tours for their patrons not just during day time, but also at night. If the guest house you are staying at doesn't offer this, simply walk up to the nearest dive center for an attractive package. The fish that you catch can be cooked in a restaurant for a really small charge. Or, you could set up a barbeque yourself and savor your catch as you watch the sun go down against the backdrop of the beautiful blue waters.
- Dolphin Safari: Spot The Cute Creatures - If you are afraid of diving deep into the water, then one of the things you can enjoy on the water is Dolphin Safari. There are numerous operators that organize a Dolphin watching trip. Head on the motorboat and drive to the middle of the ocean where you will meet a school of fascinating dolphins. They are the most intelligent and cutest creatures in the water. When you get to see them from so close, it is a magnificent experience.
- Luxury Resort Stay: Get Pampered - One of the must things to do in Maafushi island is to book a stay in one of those luxury resorts located right by the ocean. Maafushi gives you an excellent opportunity to enjoy a stay at one of these resorts where you can wake up to the enthralling views of the ocean and enjoy other luxuries in the resort.
Best Time to Visit Maafushi Island, Maldives
Maafushi Island is generally hot and sunny throughout the year, with little rainfall. The best months to visit Maafushi are January and February. This is because during these two months, there is not much rainfall and the temperatures averages just 29 degree Celsius.
Places To Eat At Maafushi Island, Maldives
Everybody wants to savor lip-smacking cuisines whenever they are on a holiday, and any holiday is incomplete without eating the best that place offers. So, while you are holidaying on Maafushi Island, head to places like Kaalama Restaurant and Symphony Lagoon Restaurant, which are some of the best places to eat. They offer a wide range of delicious Maldivian dishes and international cuisines. And if you want to try something different, then visit Cafe Rio Maafushi which has an interesting ambiance.
How to reach Maafushi Island, Maldives
- Via Speedboat: From the Male International Airport, one can easily take a speedboat to Maafushi Island. It is always advised to pre-book the speedboat online to avoid any form of inconvenience. The availability of seats, timings and fare can be checked on their respective websites. Typically, it takes around 45 to 50 minutes to reach Maafushi Island via speedboat and costs $25 per individual approximately.
- Via Ferry: For the ones on a budgeted vacation, the ferry is undoubtedly the best option. From the Male International airport, one should take a ferry to Male island. The ferry experience to Male island will cost around $1 and takes 10 minutes to reach the terminal. After reaching Male island, you can possibly take a taxi to Jetty 1 or the ‘Maafushi Ferry’. This taxi experience costs nearly $2 and takes another 10 mins to reach the ferry terminal. From the jetty, you can take a direct ferry to Maafushi island that costs $3 per individual and a travelling time of almost 90 minutes. Since ferries can’t be booked online, it is advised to purchase the tickets on the spot. Kindly note that the ferries don’t operate on Fridays and no meals and water is served on board
Adventurous Thailand Tour (7 Days) from Majestic City (Bangkok) to Beautiful Beaches (Phuket, Ko Samui)from INR 40000
Thailand, also known as Kingdom of Thailand, is a popular tourist destination across the world. Located in South East Asia, Thailand offers beautiful pristine beaches (Phuket, Ko Samui, Krabi etc.), dense jungles, splendid mountains as tourist attractions. Thailand also offers fantastic cultural experience and great Thai food (especially sea-food), and the topical climate makes it even more great for travel across the year. Thailand is a back-packers paradise, as well as great destination of luxury experience. From bustling shopping city like Bangkok to beautiful beaches across its islands (Krabi, Ko Samui) to night life of Phuket, Thailand has everything for everyone. All you have to do is keep your eyes open and enjoy what Thailand has to offer you.explore
A bike trip to Leh-Ladakh is one of the things that many people aspire for, to experience at least once in their lifetime. Known to have the highest motorable road (Khardung-La) in the world, this beautiful and adventurous bike trip of 10 days & 9 nights takes you to some fascinating places across ladakh region like Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso lake etc. At the same time this journey starts from Manali, and on the way takes you through various other picturesque locations like Rohtang Pass, Jispa, Kargil, Sonmarg etc.explore
Traveling through high passes, serene lakes, ancient monasteries, listening to the tranquil sound of chants, feeling the chill in the air, and smile on your face are some of the experiences we promise you on a road trip you will remember for the rest of your life.explore
Ladakh, a land with beauty beyond description, is a land of High Passes.Ladakh has been described as 'moon land', 'magic land', and 'mysterious land' for its unique landscapes. It is the country's coldest, highest and the driest zone and has a cool and generally dry mountain climate.explore
Ladakh, a region high in the Indian Himalayas with its snow-capped mountains, deep gorges, azure mountain lakes and rushing rivers, is one of the most sparsely populated parts of India. The culture and religion that took shape there over the millennia is closely linked to that of Tibet.explore
Trek Morocco Desert organize guided private trek from Marrakech to explore best of Morocco. Our excursion from Marrakech are available everyday with hotel pick up.With this 7 days circular tour from Marrakech explore the Moroccan Sahara Desert by hiking and 4×4 tour.explore
The Atlas Mountains are just a short drive from Marrakech, but a whole world away. Dramatic Mountain scenery, picturesque valleys and traditional remote villages make for superb treks, from pleasurable routes passing through the valleys and villages to challenging climbs on the peaks and high passes around Toubkal.explore
Trek Morocco Desert organize guided tour from Marrakech to explore best of Morocco. Our excursion are available everyday with hotel pick up.This Program of tour can be 1 day trip in Marrakech 2 Days ,3 Days ,4 Days ,5 Days ,6 Days ,7 Days Tour from Marrakech in Morocco.explore
Trek Morocco Desert organize guided Marrakech to desert hiking tours. Our excursion are available everyday with hotel pick up.Camel trekking with Trek Morocco Desert tour is not only a fun activity for tourists,but is a part of the tradition of the country as nomads have used camels as a form of transport for centuries. Following in their footsteps is an unforgettable experience, and visitors will have a few options to choose from.explore